Shortbread cookies are essentially just 3 simple ingredients: flour, sugar and butter. The secret to making the best shortbread cookies is all about how you incorporate the butter. Watch and learn how to make this super easy 3 ingredients shortbread cookies.
Yield: 16 cookies
You’ll need: 1-1/2-inch cookie cutter
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together flour and granulated sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour until mixture looks like coarse crumbs and just begins to stick together.
2. Using your hands, shape the mixture into a ball. Gently knead the dough until smooth by squeezing it and pressing it against the sides of the bowl. Don’t overwork the dough. For the most tender shortbread do the least amount of kneading necessary.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. To roll dough to a perfect thickness, lay two clean 1/2-inch-thick strips of wood on either side of dough. Rest the rolling pin on wood strips and roll dough.
4. Using a 1-1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into circles. To get the most cookies out of each portion of dough, cut cookies as close together as possible, re-rolling scraps as necessary. When you press dough scraps together, try not to toughen the dough by over-handling it. Continue cutting until all dough is used. Place circles 1 inch apart on an un-greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bottoms just start to brown. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
Change things up with these five variations…
Spiced Shortbread: Prepare as directed, except substitute brown sugar for the granulated sugar and stir 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves into the flour mixture.
Cherry-Orange Shortbread: Prepare as directed, except add 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel with the butter and stir in 1/3 cup snipped dried cherries after cutting in the butter.
Butter-Pecan Shortbread: Prepare as directed, except substitute brown sugar for the granulated sugar. After cutting in butter stir in 2 Tablespoons finely chopped pecans. Sprinkle mixture with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla before kneading.
Lemon-Poppy Seed Shortbread: Prepare as directed, except stir 1 tablespoon poppy seeds into flour mixture and add 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel with the butter.
Cranberry Shortbread: Prepare as directed, except after cutting in butter, stir in 1/3 cup snipped dried cranberries.
Want more 3 ingredients cookie recipes? Try these…