Let’s bring a tropical flair to the yule log, Christmas log, or Buche de Noel. Watch and learn how to make this super easy ricotta, mango, coconut Buche de Noel. You can substitute the ricotta for the mascarpone cheese.
Ricotta, Mango, Coconut Buche de Noel
Yield: 10 to 12 Servings
You’ll need: 12˝ x 18˝ (30 cm x 45 cm) jelly roll pan
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened grated coconut
6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 cup (250 mL) + 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 mL) cake or pastry flour
3 cups (750 mL) fresh or frozen mangoes, diced
1 cup (250 mL) ricotta
1 cup (250 mL) 35% cream
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread grated coconut out on a baking sheet and toast 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. In a bowl, use an electric beater to whip egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Reserve.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks along with ½ cup (125 ml) sugar and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla for about 5 minutes or until thick and creamy.
4. Add flour by sifting it over the bowl.
5. Incorporate beaten egg whites, gently folding dough with a spatula.
6. Spread dough out on a 12˝ x 18˝ (30 cm x 45 cm) cookie sheet previously greased and covered with parchment paper. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and flip onto a clean, moist cloth. Remove parchment paper and roll cake onto itself. Let cool.
8. To make the filling, in a saucepan, mix ½ cup (125 ml) sugar and the mangoes and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add a bit of water if the mangoes are not ripe enough. Let cool.
9. Reduce to a purée using a food processor or a blender, then add Ricotta and process until a smooth consistency is achieved.
10. Whip cream along with 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) sugar and the remaining vanilla, then reserve in refrigerator.
11. Unroll the cooled cake and spread the Ricotta mixture over the inside surface. Roll the cake up again. Garnish the outside of the log with the whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Want more yule log, Christmas log, or Buche de Noel recipes. Try these….